Thursday, March 19, 2009

Chicken Fassolakia


I make a dish with round steak that John and I love. I didn't have any round steak available today so I thought I'd try it with chicken instead. Now that I'm typing this (after I finished cooking the dish) I remember a step that I forgot when I make it with the steak. It should still turn out okay. When I make the steak version, I usually lightly dust the steak with flour and then brown it in the skillet. Today, I had frozen chicken breast and I wanted to cook from frozen without defrosting. I was able to make this ahead of time while my twins were taking a nap. At dinner time, I'll just reheat it.

Chicken Fassolakia

1/2 an onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 can green beans
1 can diced tomatoes
2 chicken breasts
1 can potatoes (fresh red potatoes are great too)
2 sprigs of oregano (1 tsp dried)

Sautè onion and garlic until onion is translucent and starts to brown in a large skillet. Add in tomato paste and work with a spoon until incorporated in with the onions. This helps develop the flavor of the tomato. Quickly add the canned diced tomatoes juice and all. Stir to mix in the tomato paste. Add drained and rinsed green beans and the chicken breasts. Add oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low until the chicken is cooked through. Add potatoes and simmer an additional 5 minutes. Serves 2.

Weight Watchers:
1 pt per ounce for chicken
1 pt per person for potato


Sides:
Barley (1pt for 1/4 cup, uncooked)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin