Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Yeast Free Pizza Dough




Today at the grocery store, I splurged and bought a ball of REAL mozzarella. Then I bought some roma tomatoes and had an idea in the back of my mind to make a homemade pizza for dinner. I love homemade pizza because the possibilities are endless. I went in the kitchen to make the dough while my twins were taking a nap, knowing the dough needed to rise for at least an hour. I was so frustrated when I opened the pantry and didn't have any yeast. It's one of those staples I always keep, and I guess I didn't realize I had used up the last of it. So, now, having my taste buds set on pizza, I decided to take a risk and make a yeast-less pizza dough. Crossing my fingers I wouldn't hit disaster, I was actually pleasantly surprised. My husband actually liked it better than some of my yeast dough recipes!

Yeast Free Pizza Dough

2 cups of flour (I use wheat in most of my recipes)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano (or Italian herb mix)
1/8 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1 egg
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp olive oil (reserved)
cornmeal (optional)

In a food processor (I'm sure a stand mixer would work just as well) mix all ingredients except olive oil. Process for 2-3 minutes until dough forms a tight ball. Place dough in a clean bowl and cover. Let stand for an hour. The dough will not rise much, but giving it time to rest will make stretching it out to make a pizza easier.

Preheat oven to 425º. While oven is preheating, stretch pizza on a stone. I put down cornmeal so pizza doesn't stick. It adds a crispy texture, also. Top with your favorite toppings, tonight I chose: pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, thinly sliced garlic and fresh basil. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and crust is toasted. Let stand for 10 minutes (if you can) before cutting.
-Amanda

I'm bumping this recipe since it's a fan favorite!  Originally posted 5/26/09.

8 comments:

  1. I have been putting off making a yeast dough recipe I have and am now thinking of making this one instead as my first homemade dough. I don't have a big enough food processor or a stand mixer, do you think it would work by hand? Also, do you think whole wheat flour would work just as well and what are your thoughts on freezing the dough?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooking with yeast, really is easy, but since this recipe turned out so great, I'll probably use it more often!

    You could easily do it by hand, just takes a bit more muscle! I'd probably knead the dough for a good 10 minutes. Let it rest, and possibly knead it a bit more.

    I've frozen pizza dough several times with great success. I do it two ways. I either roll out the dough, pre-bake it, let it cool and then freeze it. Then I just top it (while frozen) and stick into the hot oven to cook the toppings. Or I just make up a pizza completely, let it cool and freeze it. If you can cut out some cardboard circles to put the pizza on and then wrap with cellophane it works great.

    I have heard you can freeze dough (raw) and then defrost in the fridge for a day, but I haven't personally tried this.

    Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amanda, I tried this dough tonight with organic whole wheat flour and did it by hand and it turned out great! I think next time I might just add a dash of splenda to give it just a hint of sweetness. Other than that the consistency and texture turned out better than I thought it would!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you tried it out and that you liked it. I like sweetness in my dough too sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just as you said, I too am currently frustrated that I don't have yeast in the cupboard! Thanks for posting this recipe, you're a dinner-saver!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious Mess- Hope your dinner turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am super excited to try this myself...not to mention your pizza looks soo good and I love fresh mozz cheese mmmmmm, just the thought of using yeast always seems like a hastle to me and mine is usually expired by the time I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing. Do you have any idea if it can be made successfully with grain-free flours? My family is in the middle of an elimination diet in the hopes of solving some health issues and we are really missing pizza :). I love the way you cook.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin