Monday, March 30, 2009

Beef Tacos


I seriously have been stuck on Mexican food lately. Or Tex-Mex as the case may be, since I sincerely doubt what I call Mexican is actually served in Mexico. I had some beef thawed out in the refridgerator that I wanted to use for tonight. I asked John what he wanted for dinner and he said beef tacos. Fine by me and super easy. Since I had run out of Taco Seasoning packets, I had to season the hamburger myself. Here is my version.

Beef Tacos

1/2 lb of hamburger meat
1/2 onion finely chopped
2 cloves of chopped garlic
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp chili powder
salt & pepper to taste
4 corn tortillas

toppings:
chopped lettuce
black olives
sour cream
salsa
mexican cheese

In a skillet over medium high heat, sautè the chopped onion until it starts to caramelize. Add garlic and the ground hamburger meat and continue cooking until almost all of the pink is out of the meat. Add the tomato paste and seasonings. Continue cooking until there is no more pink. Serve over corn tortillas and whatever toppings you prefer. If you have a gas stove, turn the burner on low and place a tortilla directly over the burner. With tongs, slide it around the flame. This is a yummy way to warm your tortillas. Gives a nice toasty flavor and keeps them soft. Serves 2, but easily doubled.

Weight Watchers:
4% fat ground beef: 3 pts for 40z
corn tortillas: 2 for 1pt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin