Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pea Salad

This is a recipe from my childhood. I do not know if it is a southern dish or a northern dish that traveled south. My memories of this dish are from when my Grandma Bettie made it. And, it was the ONLY way I would eat peas as a kid. No kidding. I normally would use a red apple for contrast but I was out of apples and my neighbor, being an awesome neighbor, lent me an apple and it was green, and so that was a perfect apple. Thank you Andrea! Oh, and I made this from a childhood memory so I don't know if it is the "right" way to make pea salad, but I'm pretty sure this was a popular dish in the 1970's. It should make a come back. It's good. Plus, it might get your kid to eat peas.
-Amanda

Pea Salad

1.5 cups frozen peas
1/2 tbsp butter
salt & pepper
1 apple
2-3 oz cheddar cheese, cubed
3 tbsp mayo (I make mine homemade)

In a small skillet, bring peas to a boil and cook for a few minutes. Drain, return to pot. Add butter, salt and pepper and allow peas to cool completely. Chop one apple, leaving the skin on. I try to cut it as close to pea size as possible. Do the same with the cheese. Mix the cooled peas, the apple and the cheese in a bowl with the mayo. Refrigerate and serve cold.




4 comments:

  1. The only difference that I can remember is that Grandma Bettie used canned peas, drained but not cooked (no butter) and she added minced onion... maybe 1/4 cup to the above amounts. I believe she used white onion... I often used scallions because I love them. When making it with the onion, refrigerating overnight is even better because the flavors having time to meld.

    --MoM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make pea salad, too, but a little differently...peas, a couple of boiled eggs, very finely diced onion, mayo, salt, pepper, and shredded cheddar cheese.

    I'll bet the cubed cheese would be great, and I can't quite imagine an apple, but I'd be willing to try it.

    I was just thinking I haven't made this in a while. I typically make it a good bit during the summer, as part of a cold plate lunch.

    Thanks for the inspiration, as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that MandyE mentions it.... Grandma Bettie may have put boiled eggs in her pea salad. I never did because it was an extra pain to do and because I don't really like them that much. Anyway, I know someone's pea salad had boiled eggs. You may have to call Grandma Bettie and ask.

    MoM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the pea salad last night and it was awesome! I skipped on the butter and added 1/4 of a red onion, chopped. Everyone loved it! I'll have to consider the hard boiled egg addition for next time, but as it is right now - its a hit!

    P.S. Because my family likes to make up funny names for recipes this went from Pea Salad to being called Smoosh. There was a lot of 'Pass the Smoosh please!' at our dinner table last night!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin