Thursday, April 29, 2010

Homemade Peanut Butter

Sometimes when I make something homemade for the first time, I just have to laugh and wonder why it took me so long to try and make it from scratch! This peanut butter is delicious and tastes nothing like jarred peanut butter. I'm so thrilled I think I'm going to try almond butter next. I bought my peanuts in a bulk bin at the store already roasted (no salt) but they still had the skins on. My twins helped me peel all the skins off the nuts, which was fun since the three of us sat around the table concentrating on slipping the skin off each nut. (For photos, visit my personal blog.) Next time I'll try and buy nuts that don't have the skin, but even so, it was still simple.

I don't have a recipe, I just did it by "feel" and taste. I started with about 3 cups of peanuts in my food processor. I pulsed for about 30 seconds, then I drizzled in some honey (a tablespoon or so.) Then I added a few pinches of salt and about 3-4 tablespoons of peanut oil until I got a consistency and a taste that I liked. I read that homemade peanut butter will be good in an airtight container in the refridgerator for 2 months.

I made my girls grilled peanut butter and banana sandwiches on homemade wheat bread for dinner, a childhood favorite of mine.

4 comments:

  1. It never donned on me to make peanut butter - what a great idea! My son and I will have to try this - looks fun AND yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it goes! The girls really love the homemade peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Amanda! I'm looking forward to following this blog! Quick question on the peanut butter...does it separate when it's stored?

    Our girlies aren't old enough for peanut butter yet, but I can't wait to introduce it to them. I ate PB and banana sandwiches on whole wheat almost every day of my pregnancy, with a big ol' glass of milk, of course. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy- I actually have been microwaving it for about 20-30 seconds to loosen it up to spread it, because out of the fridge it is hard to spread! I started my girls out on Almond Butter before moving to Peanut Butter. I was nervous about the nut allergies and I read that Almonds are more gentle than peanuts. I want to make some homemade almond butter too, but haven't yet!

    Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin