Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Huevos Rancheros


Tonight for dinner, John had some leftovers he wanted to eat, so I wanted to make a simple dinner for myself. So, I made a Mexican dish called Huevos Rancheros. I thought I was just making up my own version, but according to Wikipedia, I pretty much hit it right on! As I was eating it, I thought of a couple of variations that would be delicious. Adding roasted corn, or avacodo for instance. I know a lot of people put refried beans, I think this would have helped make the meal more substantial for a dinner. Something to think about for next time.

Huevos Rancheros

2 corn tortillas
2 eggs
1/4 of an onion thinly sliced
1/4 of a bell pepper thinly sliced
1/2 cup of cheese
Salsa

In a cast iron (or heavy skillet) sautè onions and bell peppers on very high heat until they start to carmalize. Salt them as they are cooking. In a toaster oven (or your regular oven) broil tortillas until crispy. Place onions and bell peppers on your tortillas. Clean out skillet and fry eggs using cooking spray so they don't stick. Keep the yolks runny as this is delicious as it runs over the tortilla! Place eggs ontop of onions and peppers. Sprinkle with cheese and top with salsa.

Weight Watchers:
2 corn tortillas- 1pt
1/2 cup of light mexican cheese- 2 pts
2 eggs- 4 pts
-Amanda-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin