Friday, October 30, 2009

Homemade Mac N Cheese



I bet some of you don't know how incredibly easy it is to make homemade mac n cheese... from scratch. If you did, I know no one would ever again buy a powdered box mix and call it cheese again. You can even make it look like the fake stuff if you choose. I want everyone to repeat after me, "I solemnly swear to never ever buy or make boxed mac n cheese ever again." See that wasn't so hard. Here is how you do it:

Homemade Mac 'N Cheese

3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2-2/3 cup shredded cheddar
1 tsp turmeric (for color)

Melt butter in a small pot. Add flour and stir until all the butter is absorbed and the flour is moist. Add 1/2 cup of milk, turn burner to medium high and whisk until there are no lumps in the sauce. Add the rest of the milk and the cheese. Bring to a high simmer stirring until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and turmeric if desired. Pour over your favorite pasta. Add cut-up hot dogs and peas (or broccoli) for a complete kid meal.
-Amanda

1 comment:

  1. I made the mac n cheese..omg it came out great! I used the rotini noodles like you and I used velveta cheese because the kids seem to like it....well let me tell you they gobbled it up and it tasted so much better then the box variety..I will not be using box again :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin