Sunday, September 27, 2009

Beef Stuffed Cabbage



Most of the time when I go to the grocery store I just put ingredients in my cart that speak to me in the moment. I rarely have a PLAN. I always admire the women who have a menu plan and know exactly what they are going to buy when they go to the store. I guess it's good that I am good at creating dishes from the ingredients on hand. So tonight when I was trying to decide what to make for dinner, I remembered I had a head of cabbage and some ground beef in the fridge. Which lead to...

Beef Stuffed Cabbage

8 cabbage leaves (savoy would be better, but I just had regular cabbage)
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup of wheat germ (hidden nutrition!)
1 carrot, grated
1/2 onion finely chopped
2-3 cloves of finely chopped garlic
1 egg white
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
2 cans of diced tomatoes
salt and pepper

Place cabbage in a large bowl, add some water to the bottom and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 2 minutes to soften the cabbage leaves, making them pliable and easier to roll.

In a large bowl combine beef, rice, water, wheat germ, carrot, onion, garlic, egg white and seasoning. Mix well.

Spoon 1/4 cup of beef mixture into each cabbage leaf, rolling like you would an eggroll.

Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and brown the cabbage leaves. Add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about an hour. Turn cabbage rolls so that they cook evenly. Check and add water if it reduces to far. 2 rolls per serving, serves 4.

Weight Watchers Points: 6 per serving.

-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin