Sunday, June 28, 2009

Healthier Crispie Marshmallow Treats



One of my favorite treats are Kellogg's Rice Kristpies. But, I am looking for healthier snacks to take on my road trip that is coming up at the end of next month. This has sugar in the form of the marshmallows, but it also has dried fruit and puffed whole grains. I thought about adding peanut butter for protein, but decided not to this go around. I'll test these out on the girls and if they get the stamp of approval, I'll make another batch for the trip. Thanks Mom for placing the idea in my head!

Healthier Crispie Marshmallow Treats

2 cups of whole grain puffed rice
2 cups of whole grain puffed wheat
2 cups of whole grain puffed kamut
3 tablespoons of real butter
1 10oz bag of marshmallows
1 cup diced dried fruit
1/2 tsp vanila
1/2 tsp orange extract
1/2 tsp coconut extract
cooking spray

Spray a very big bowl with cooking spray, then measure out the various puffed grains. I used 2 cups of each, but you can do whatever mixture of puffed grains you can find. I've never even heard of Kamut, until I saw it in the store! Dice fruit up as small as you can. I sprayed my knife with cooking spray to help the fruit not stick to the blade. I would recommend chopping by hand, because it'll just gum up in a food processor. Add fruit to grains and stir. Spray a brownie pan with cooking spray and set aside.

In a small sauce pan, melt the butter. Add marshmallow and stir constantly on medium heat. When just about melted add extracts. You can leave them out or use your own, I was just having fun with the flavors in my cabinet! I thought it would give a more "tropical" feel to the crispie treats. When fully melted, quickly pour marshmallows over puffed grains, scraping down the sides to get it all. Work very quickly and stir. It helps to also spray your spoon with cooking spray. Keep stiring until all the marshmallow is incorporated into the grains and fruit. Then pour the mixture in your brownie pan. Spray your hands and gently pat down the mixture (it should be cool enough to touch by now, but check carefully because freshly melted marshmallows are very hot!) Let stand for at least 15 minutes.

These are the grains I used!

-->>Store no more than two days at room temperature in airtight container. To freeze, place in layers separated by wax paper in airtight container. Freeze for up to 6 weeks. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving. <<-- Storage instructions are From Kelloggs Website
-Amanda

4 comments:

  1. Rice Krispie treats are one of my favs too!!! Can't wait to hear how the girls liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these this afternoon and they are great. The cereal got a little soft but they are still good. I used a mix of cherries, cranberries and blueberries in mine and added almond extract and vanilla. Olivia loved them as well. (Did you put oranges in yours?) For dinner we also made you Chicken and Zuccini recipe...another hit! Thanks for your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes the girls did like them. They aren't as crunchy as a real rice crispie treat, but the girls (and I!) loved them. I think John even ate a few. My mom did not like them at all though. I would refrigerate them though, we left them out and they went bad after a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin